The joint parishes of Old Milverton and Blackdown have a rich cultural heritage. This map shows a few sites of particular significance.
1. Site of Mediaeval Village
Archaeologists have found flint tools, a possible prehistoric sherd and a Roman British Coin dating from the 3rd Century A.D. in the fields in Old Milverton. There is also an old cropmark and a Bronze Age ring ditch within the Parish. Milverton is recorded in the Domesday Book (1066) as Malvertone.
2. Guys Cliffe House
The stone chapel was built in 1430 A.D. by Richard Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick. A Tudor framed house was then constructed, which was replaced by Samuel Greathead by a new house, in the style of a Palladian mansion, around 1751. Guys Cliff House had a significant influence on the surrounding area and in particular the hamlet of Old Milverton where where estate workers lived. The gardens are now a site of Special Scientific Interest.
3. Church of St James
The church may have Saxon origins but it is known that the Norman construction was rebuilt in its present form in 1879/80. It is Grade II listed. Vera Brittain, writer, feminist and pacifist, is buried in the church yard as is Henry Jephson, who promoted the therapeutic benefits of Leamington Spa water and was instrumental in that town’s initial success.
4. Village Hall
The village hall was provided by the Heber-Percy estate for the benefit of the social life of the village and village people, most of who worked directly for the estate or indirectly for tenant farmers in the Parish of Old Milverton. The hall has been used as a schoolroom reading room and continues to be used for social occasions. It plays a significant role in the life of the church of St James Church.
5. Historic Barn
The timber-framed barn’s construction dates back to 17th century. It is a listed building for its special architectural and historic interest. A sign on the outside proclaims “Man Traps and Spring Guns on theife Premifes”.
6. Village Pound
The pound (or pinfold) was created as a place where straying animals could be locked up until their owners paid a fine for their release. It was originally situated close to the village well on Old Milverton road and is a relic of the pre-enclosure days and the lax approach to the containment of farm livestock.
7. The Village Pump
Mains water came late to Old Milverton, so villagers had to rely on their own wells and roof water collection cisterns. Those without such systems had to use the communal wells situated on Old Milverton road and at the village hall.
8. Parkhouse Farm
9. Cottage Farm
A farm house listed for its special architectural and historic interest. It was constructed in the late 18th Century in brick.
10. Saxon Mill
The Saxon Mill was originally called Gibbeclive Mill in the 12th century. It was the property of St Mary’s Abbey and the Augustinian Canons until the Dissolution of the Monasteries. It was rebuilt in 1822 as a working mill until 1938 being part of Guys Cliffe Estate, and then known as Guys Mill. It was converted into a restaurant and bar in 1952.
11. Rock Mill
Rock Mills is believed to be the Milverton Mill listed in the Domesday Book which at one stage was a water mill used for milling grain and ‘fulling’ (treating and cleansing woollen cloth). Benjamin Smart a Leamington Quaker established a Cotton Spinning Factory in 1792; later in 1830 it was converted to a flour mill.
12. Blackdown Mill
13. Avon Valley Viaduct
The viaduct was constructed in 19th Century as a key part of the Leamington to Coventry railway line. It is a magnificent utilitarian structure which has become a greatly appreciated part of the landscape of the Avon Valley.
14. Chesford Bridge
15. Blackdown Manor
Is listed for its special architectural and historic interest. Built in the early 17th Century and remodelled in the early to mid 19th Century it was timber-framed, but largely rebuilt in sandstone ashlar.